jquery paste

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Royal Wedding from Afar

I actually want to see this royal shindig! This surprises me, given myun-fawning, non-royalist disposition. When becoming a Canadian citizen, I admit that I only whispered the loyalty oath to the monarch. So why this keen interest of mine?

I'm old enough to have seen Will and Harry grow up, and Elizabeth's pleasant portrait is on all my Canadian currency. A more matronly  portrait of her bedecked with jewels and festooned with ceremonial pins faces me on my weekly ferry rides  from Vancouver to Saturna Island, where we have a lovely home and my art studio. Besides, I loved the Helen Mirren movie of Elizabeth II. And now, a photo of this handsome couple is printed on Canadian stamps.

So, here I am in Umbria thinking about how to view the royal shindig tomorrow. Very Canadian, eh? We don't have a TV, so I hope I can stream it via computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment