jquery paste

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Moon and the Misbegotten: Lunar Eclipse and the Hockey-Riot

Two big events happened yesterday in different parts of the world that are home to me.
There was an extraordinary and beautiful lunar eclipse, a luna rossa, and I saw it through our bedroom window in Le Marche! What surprised me, aside from the lovely red-gold cast of the light bouncing off the moon, was the softness of the earth's shadow on it.
photo of June 15,2011 lunar eclipse by space.com
The second event happened inVancouver, BC, my long-term home.
The Vancouver Canucks, after a 3-3 tie with the Boston Bruins, lost the Stanley Cup. It was a bad loss, too: 4-0! I could feel the heartache drift across the North American continent and reach all the way across the Atlantic to here. So close... and yet so....defeated. I have to whisper that I'm not really a hockey fan, but even I was very glumly disappointed! My Canadian hometown team, the Canucks, had tempted the odds by coming so close to winning what even an adopted-Canadian, like me, knows is the fabled chalice of the Stanley Cup.

Though I shared in the disappointment, what I didn't feel was the anger that ensued and ensnared fans. A riot broke out in downtown Vancouver, a typically law-abiding and pretty sane place, and the pictures I see of it are awful: cars set afire and overturned, bottes thrown, looting, police in riot gear, tear gas. But hockey, man, that's evidently cutting close to the bone.


I live here in Italy right now, and in my present world there was this exceptional lunar eclipse -- the first I'd ever seen so clearly. I take great pleasure from that very particular experience. It was a leap to a larger dimension: a window on the movements of a universe.
Today's Painting
Starsoup for Supper, painting by Janet Strayer
But what a nasty thump of landing back to earth was the news of the post-game Vancouver riots. It's my  home and it's such an attractive and livable city, or so I continue to believe. I'm sure some deft or daft heaven-gazer will blame it on the moon!
TO COMMENT:, click on the word comments below and a box should appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment