jquery paste

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

SCAM ALERT!! Artists Beware!

Cons  are a nasty pseudo-art produced by 'con-artists', some nether-inhabitants of the human spectrum. Cons have existed forever, shape-shifting to contemporary formats and target populations. Well, legitimate artists are no exceptions as targets. In fact, they may be particularly vulnerable to clever forms of conning. Artists want others to see their work, like their work, and (bingo) buy their work. They may even be especially hopeful people and generous in their willingness to share information, showing their work widely on the internet, advertising their locations, and encouraging others out there to join in. This wide net may pull in a few nasty fish  disguised as angel-fish.

Today's Thought:
There's a sucker born every minute.
(attributed to P.T.Barnum but repudiated by him, see Wikipedia.org)

It just  happened to me. And it's important for you to know about and BE WARNED.

A few days ago I received an email, just after starting Janet Strayer Says and being all pumped-up about it. What a reinforcement! A fellow from California said he wanted to buy one of my paintings because he was moving to new digs and eager to to decorate with fine art. He wanted to get my painting asap before it was grabbed and before he had to leave for business commitments. Would I send him the price and shipping costs? Wow. Sure I would. I emailed back the price but added that shipping costs and duty would be exorbitant from Europe to California. If he could wait until I was back home in Vancouver, I would reserve the work for him at the price mentioned plus shipping, etc.

He replied almost immediately in a friendly email, adding some personal information: he was a marketing executive who'd just been promoted, had been in  the UK and was soon to take a business trip to India . YES, yes, to the painting and price (undervalued, he expressed). Because of move and his business trip, he would have his shipping agent come for the painting with a certified check.

Uhm. This lit something on the back burner. Years ago, my friend, Ingalora, living in Mexico, had emailed about something that was now creating some smoke. I now spoke to a few other people, too. Here's the rub, actually the sting of it:
  • Someone says he will buy your work by an overdrafted certified check or money order  that pays more than the actual cost of the item plus shipping, etc. 
  • He asks for your address/phone in order to send his agent to inspect the work and pay you.
  • The amount is more than your actual costs. The given explanation for 'why more?' is because the buyer is had to rush off (usually explained in his email to you) and so left more than enough to cover the "details" with the shipper; the buyer is not only plush with funds but also a good fellow in trusting you not to draw more than the agreed-upon amount. 
  • You believe him because it is a "certified check" or similar .
  • You give the shipper the goods and pay the amount owing (because you are trustworthy).
  • The "certified check" is a fake, but you find this out weeks after the bank has apparently put the money into your account. (It does register as a deposit on your  bank account for 1-2 weeks until the fake is discovered).
  • You are out your wonderful painting AND the amount you paid the shipper. 
You may cry, rage, and feel a fool. But, to my knowledge, you cannot do anything to retrieve your losses. Still,  you can warn others to beware and take the following action if you get a similar kind of "offer." I kept a copy of the emails connected my experience of this con. Bottom line remedy (or at least it's what I did):
  •  I got my painting linked to a PayPal account for sellers (I already had one for internet purchases I made). 
  •  I wrote the buyer (politely, it might not be a con) that I would only accept PayPal payment. Being a friendly person, I added why (I was living and travelling in Europe) and repeated my offer to hold the work for him. 
  •  I asked the buyer for an exact shipping address, so that we could arrange for the proper shipping costs, and any other applicable costs.
  •  I concluded in my email that I could only do business with him under these conditions. 
End of story. He did not continue our correspondence. I'm sadder but wiser... and at least not poorer for it.

Today's Painting (the one he wanted!)

Lady Ermengarde  (early version) by Janet Strayer, see janetstrayerart or click here


post signature To COMMENT from the homepage: Click on Title of Post to get to its own page. Comment box appears below post. Subscribe for updates on art, travels, and adventures in creative life. You can also find me at my Facebook Page and Website for my art and news of upcoming shows/sales.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for paying attention to the red flags and listening to your inner voice. And for having sticking to your guns regarding your purchase practices. And, thanks for sharing the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you picked up on this. I liked seeing your site. Glad to share this and other info and artworks, janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this before - any time the word "cheque" is included in a sentence, a red flag should go up. One girl at an art fair wanted to give me a personal cheque for a print - are you serious?! No way....She may have been sincere but anyone can write a bad cheque.

    ReplyDelete