jquery paste

Monday, May 9, 2011

The Gustatory Olympics

This blog post is dedicated to those who love to eat well and sample widely (my apologies to vegetarians and vegans). Perhaps “She ate not wisely but too well” could be my epitaph… but that’s a long way off. Besides, eating “well” actually does accord with good health while allowing for the occasional excess of gourmandry. Well short of the “Mr Creosote” (Monty Python) kind of  overindulgence, all's well that eats well. 
Today's Thought
I eat merely to put food out of my mind.
N.F. Simpson

Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

Talking about food markets in one of my recent posts, I realize that a contest has started in my head among the most memorable foods in the regions we have eaten our way through: France, Spain, and Italy. Having left Vancouver the same year it hosted the winter Olympics, this must have left its impression on me when writing this post. So I now serve up for you my personal report on the Gustatory Olympics. You may vote your own preferences in the comments section below.
Today's Painting
acrylic and mixed media painting by Janet Strayer, janetstrayerart.com

My vote is that France has the greatest variety of  extraordinary and mouth-watering cheese, the best butter in the world, and it ties with Spain for the best eggs. Back to France again for absolutely the best bread.  Umbria has the distinction of having the worst bread, aptly described by someone as "chewy water". There’s a reason for this that goes back in history to Umbria’s revolt against the high salt taxes. The only good bread in this region, to my taste, is really more of a cake: the Panetone or Easter bread. I ate it, whenever I could get it, for three weeks’ straight -- during and after Easter. I tried all the varieties: with bits of glazed citron, with almonds, with bits of chocolate. All win. As for pastries, it’s a close run between Italy and France, with Spain in the rear. 

Spain is the winner for fresh fish. It’s also the winner for fresh vegetables and fruits in winter,  and both are very inexpensive (climate, yes?).  We came back from markets laden with heavy baskets of fruit and veggies that altogether may have cost about 5 Euros. And there were stalls that would just give away oranges! Living along the Malagueñan coast, we also found a great variety of fish, and they were as fresh as can be with boats bringing in their daily haul. In the many restaurants along the sea, fish was simply prepared (often outdoors over wooden fires),  and it was relatively inexpensive to buy at markets to cook at home. We ate more fish regularly when living in Spain than anywhere else during this European soujourn, even  more than in Canada (where we live on the coast, have great fish, but less local variety.





In contrast, fish in Umbria is expensive and limited in variety (understandable given its distance from the sea). And fish in southern France,  especially in Sete, where it is a tasty feature of its restaurants, is not as impressive as in Spain. Nor can you buy the variety of fresh fish to cook for yourself.

If Spain wins my vote for fish, it leaves me indifferent as to pork.Yet, the Spanish elevation of pork, especially in its cured varieties,  to stratospheric heights and prices leaves me out. As for me, a good ham sandwich (what in Spain is demeaningly refered to as  cooked, white,  or the "English kind" is fine with me. A pork loin is good if interestingly prepared, but  I don’t get swoony over swine.

Now, Steak Fiorentino is an entirely different matter. It rules the kingdom of steaks. 

And truffles are another little room in the palace of fine taste. I once in my life ate a real truffle omelet in Italy. I smelled it more than tasted it;  it was rather grandly musty-earthy rich.  another matter, entirely. All three countries are dedicated to this extravagantly foul little mushroom… and all three really do have excellent truffle oils. You can argue among yourselves on this one. 

What about pasta ... and what I understand is currently the most popular food in the world, pizza? Come on, now. Is there any contest? Yes, there are good pasta dishes and good thin-crust pizza in France (not so much in Spain). But, really, is there any doubt that Italy, with all its regional contributions to pasta dishes, is the hands-down winner for pasta  and pizza cooked to perfection?

As for coffee, particularly as served in cafes? Italy wins gold, France silver, Spain copper.

Your views are welcome. But do take into account that if your gustatory tastes disagree with me, I’ll just have to  check and eat some more!

post signature To COMMENT from the homepage: Click on Title of Post to get to its own page. Comment box appears below post. Subscribe for updates on art, travels, and adventures in creative life. You can also find me at my Facebook Page and Website for my art and news of upcoming shows/sales.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this entry a lot, and I understand completely your passion for eating. We ate fabulous food in B.C. (both in Vancouver and on Vancouver Island). We ate the best sushi ever at Tojo's and the best Indian food at Viji's. And we liked the food in Barcelona better than Paris: white anchovies, delicious tapas, fresh fish, reasonably priced wine, and the best hot chocolate and pastries at Escriba. We haven't been to Italy in a few years, but will take your recommendations seriously! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you share some of your favourite recipes that you've discovered while traveling?

    ReplyDelete